Are you enjoying all the feels that fall is bringing? I have been cooking more than usual (thanks, pandemic), but now that fall has arrived I am making more filling foods that nourish the soul. I recently made this delicious fall corn chowder with coconut base and sweet potatoes.
I’m usually a big fan of summer, and don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that has changed. However, the feelings that fall bring about are overwhelmingly comforting. The leaves changing colors, did I mention my favorite color is orange? Bundling up, though I hate the cold. And the aroma of earthy spices, fragrant sweet goodies baking and a warm home filled with cuddles.
To be honest, I was going to buy a corn chowder and serve it to my family. But with a stocked pantry that included a box of sweet potatoes, how could I resist making my own?
This fall corn chowder recipe is naturally plant-based (vegan). Our family is plant-based, so if you have any questions regarding the lifestyle, please do not hesitate to reach out. You can learn a little more about our choices here.
This fall corn chowder is one of my simpler recipes, so please don’t be intimidated. I was able to chop the ingredients in advance, so if you are short on time this is an option for you! Onion, garlic and celery used to be my nemesis, but the more that I included them in dishes, the more value I saw.
Some things you’ll notice from my recipes. I rarely use oil, in fact for this delicious corn chowder I didn’t use any oil. I’m certified in plant-based cooking. Through my training I learned how to dry saute. If you want to learn more about this technique, please reach out to me here. Additionally, I rarely use salt when I cook, so in this recipe I leave it up to you.
Whip this up and let me know in the comments how you and your family enjoyed the delicious smell that nourished your senses.
Fall Coconut Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Celery ribs, chopped
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, cubed (about 1/2 in thick)
- 2 cups frozen Corn kernels or 4 ears Corn, husked
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 3/4 tsp Paprika
- 1 1/2 TBS Sherry Vinegar
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Coconut Milk (if full fat, you may want to add 1/2 cup water to reach desired consistency)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat. Add onion. To prevent from sticking, add 1 TBS water at a time. If using salt, add a pinch here.
- Add frozen corn to pot. If using ears of corn, cut the corn off the cob and add to pot. Stir to keep from sticking.
- Add red pepper, paprika, sweet potatoes and stir. Allow ingredients to cook for about 5 minutes. Sweet potatoes will begin to soften.
- Add sherry vinegar, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Stir all ingredients to combine. Cover & simmer (med-low heat) for about 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking.
- Check sweet potatoes to assure they are tender. Remove 3 cups of the chowder (solid and liquid) and add to high speed blender. Blend until smooth – some chunks ok.
- Return blended chowder to pot and stir.
- Taste and add seasoning as necessary with salt and pepper.